In 1993, the US census reported that 42% of the adults 25 years of age and older in Barrow County did not have their high school education. A coalition of government, business, Church, civic, and school system leaders formed Adult Literacy Barrow to meet the goal of reducing the illiteracy rate in Barrow County. Free high school equivalency classes were offered, classrooms were opened, and teachers were hired. 30 years and almost 15,000 students later, the illiteracy rate has dropped to 13.4%!
ALB is operated by a volunteer Board of Directors whose primary job is to promote adult literacy to local businesses, industries, civic groups and others through event-oriented promotions and programs. Funds are raised through individual donations, annual giving campaigns, fundraisers, grants, corporate contributions and in kind resources. From these funds, tangibles such as GED test scholarships, salaries of teachers, Chromebooks, laptops, instructional materials needed by the teachers, GED scholarships, they daycare center, and free transportation are provided.
The Adult Learning Center is located in Winder at 163 Martin Luther King,Jr. Dr., Winder, GA 30680; phone 770-531-3361.
The Adult Education Program is a cost-free instructional program that is specifically designed for adults who have different needs, backgrounds, and skills. Types of instruction extend from beginning reading and writing to high school completion through the General Education Development (GED) Program. Additional programs include English as a Second Language, Spanish GED, and Citizenship classes.
The primary fundraiser for Adult Literacy Barrow, Inc. is the “Literacy Ball, a Novel Affair,” a black tie optional event held in January of each year. The Literacy Ball is planned and promoted by the Literacy Ball Planning Committee, a group of community volunteers.
Barrow County was one of the first communities in Georgia to become a Certified Literate Community under the Georgia Certified Literate Community Program (CLCP). In 1990, the State of Georgia started the CLCP as a “means of combating the problems of low literacy” in the State. The program was placed under the Office of Adult Education at the Technical College System of Georgia (TSG).
The mission of the Certified Literate Community Program is to mobilize every resource available to a community into a literacy campaign that functions within state certification guidelines and will result in a literate community.
To mobilize these efforts, each Certified Literate Community established a local coalition whose members represent local businesses, educators, civic groups, churches and governments. In Barrow County, this coalition is known as Adult Literacy Barrow, Inc. (ALB), a non-profit organization.
Visit www.clcpga.org for more information about the Certified Literacy Program. Visit www.laniertech.edu for more information on the Adult Learning Program.
Adult Literacy Barrow Board Members
Ms. Gayle Steed, Board Chair
- Retired Councilwoman, City of Statham
- E-mail: email@example.com
Ms. Tifanie Ring, Board Vice Chair
- Executive Director, New Path 1010
Ms. Lynn Hammond, Board Treasurer
- Owner, The Principal’s Palette & Gift Boutique
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Literacy Ball Chair since 1993
Ms. Susan McWhorter, Secretary
- Sr. Vice President – Credit Operations Officer, First American Bank & Trust
- E-mail: email@example.com
Ms. Sally Brown
- Executive Director, Adult Literacy Barrow
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Linda Blechinger
- Mayor, City of Auburn
- E-mail: Lblechinger@cityofauburn-ga.org
Mr. Todd Faulkner
- Owner, Zaxby’s
- E-mail: email@example.com
Ms. Pat Graham
- Chair, Barrow County Board of Commissioners
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Debi Krause
- City Council member, City of Statham
- E-mail: email@example.com
Ms. Beth Magness
- Retired Adult Education Lead Instructor, Lanier Technical College
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. David Maynard
- Mayor, City of Winder
- E-mail: email@example.com
Mr. Ben McDaniel
- Director, Barrow-Braselton Joint Economic Development Authority
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Beth McMichael
- K-8 Literacy Content Specialist, Barrow County School System
- E-mail: email@example.com
Mr. Douglas Mitchell
- Founding Partner, Mitchell & Crunk, Attorneys at Law
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Dottie Reynolds
- Has served on the Board since its inception in 1993
- Retired Barrow County educator
- E-mail: email@example.com
- ESOL instructor and Interpreter for Barrow County Schools
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Susan Wages
- Retired Educator, Barrow County School System
- E-mail: email@example.com
Mr. Shannon Cole
- Dean of Adult Education, Lanier Technical College
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Lisa Prescott
- Lead Instructor, Barrow Co. Adult Learning Center, Lanier Technical College
- E-mail: email@example.com
Mr. Chip Reynolds
- Campus Dean, Barrow / Jackson Campuses, Lanier Technical College
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
We stand ready to help you in reaching your dreams and capturing your future.
Get in touch
Phone: (770) 531-3369
Adult Literacy Barrow
@ Wimberly Community Center
163 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
Winder, Georgia 30680